Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Studying in Britain: A Comparative Study

Happy Holidays!

Michaelmas term has ended and I thought it would be a nice chance to reflect on the past few months. It was particularly interesting as I visited Harlaxton to think about my two experiences studying in Britain. The travelling time gave great leisure to peruse my musings, especially given most trains en route back to Oxford were cancelled on Monday! :P

As I visited the amazing people at Harlaxton I tried to dust of the details of memories which have sat latent for so long. My study abroad was a time to explore new cultures and to discover a little bit about myself concurrently. This primarily came through amazing travel opportunities to different European countries and exposure to so many wonderful and inspiring people. Oxford has seen less spatial travel, to be replaced with greater expeditions into the world of ideas. It has also been a learning experience about myself to be thrust into a new living environment, pursuing a different degree, at another institution, in a new country. At Baker and Harlaxton (in its special way) there were always familiar people and I understood myself in those contexts. Now in this new place where almost nobody knows me I am tasked with the rebuilding of a persona which engenders a great deal of self-questioning.

In this manner, returning to Harlaxton was unusual as I walked the halls not recognizing each face. The people truly do make the experience, and this epitomized my semester abroad. And yet the memory of shared joys, sorrows (I am sure there were a couple...), and journeys throughout that term still make the place dear. During this past term at Oxford as I have come to know people in my program, college, and at the Hub the experience has become richer and more important. As the connections to people who grow dear become more firmly established, Oxford is taking hold of a place in my heart to remain forever.

All this is to say, both times I have been in Britain were and are immensely enjoyable. I am at a new stage of life which comes with a perspective to relook at what came before. Many things are changing around me and my family. In that change, I truly do believe in one's agency and a person's ability to define the way in which that change affects them. All the world is a place of opportunity :) And yet, while this reflection is important, my essay still needs written. lol So, I will sign off and begin the work again in earnest.

Wishing you all festive joy!
Will

No comments:

Post a Comment