Sunday, January 27, 2013

Back in Oxford

Hello Dear Friends,

Already it seems January is coming to an end and I wanted to put a post up before the first month of 2013 passes by!

Since my last post a great deal has changed for my family. With Dad's passing I went home for some time over Christmas and New Years to share grief with my mother and brother. My return to school has seen a whirlwind of events and Oxford seems to demand that one maintain a certain focus. But it is impossible not to feel deeply the pain that has occurred. I think for me it has given a perspective of value (of what is positive and of what is negative) in all of our actions, and to be cognizant of what gives life meaning. I cannot understand death, and will not pretend that I have come to learn great lessons. But more than ever, I am reminded to be appreciative for little kindnesses and goodness in people.

This term has already been a flurry of activity. We are beginning the third week of Hilary and I am attempting to maintain some resolutions about the term. I want to complete all my readings and to have taken notes on them; I would like to write one term essay per week; I am resolved to take up a sport (tennis!); my diet will become healthier (Mom made a list :D); and there are a few more. With great good fortune, and a bit of "will" power on my part, these can all come to be.

There are a few projects which I am particularly keen to pursue. These relate to social entrepreneurship and creating organizations. I have not given up on my idea for a research institute on sustainable capitalism, and it continues to morph into new forms. Some help in this area comes from a social enterprise class with Pamela Hartigan, director of the Skoll Center. We are learning about the theory behind various models as well as undertaking to design a business plan addressing a particular subset of a world problem.

Wishing everyone the greatest of happiness.
Will

No comments:

Post a Comment